Thursday 8 May 2014

Neal's Yard Boost for Breakfast Berry & Raisin

Porridge is very much a staple product for me. Warm and fuelling, its creamy texture makes it one of my favourite breakfasts. I also love how much you can customize it. Honey, blueberries, a banana, pecans, linseed... porridge is a great blank canvas to make of it what you want.

Dried fruit is another great topper. Usually I add boring old raisins so when I saw this Berry Boost in Holland & Barrett, I was excited to liven up my standard breakfast.


The bag contains a colourful and fruity mix of cranberries, blueberries, gojiberries, raisins, goldenberries and golden raisins for a really inviting mix. Sprinkling it over porridge made it look so appetizing. All those colours, textures and shapes. Because of the generous mix, no two mouthful are the same and you get some really nice contrasts and combos.


Sweetness from the raisins vs the sharpness from the blueberries and tart cranberries worked brilliantly and the gojiberries added a little more depth and earthiness (Plus its superfoods status). All if the berries were large, plump and juicy and didn't get lost in the porridge for a dominant, fruity explosion of flavour.

This is something I think I'll use quite regularly on my morning porridge as it provides a lovely refreshing and zingy sweetness that gets your day off to a great start.

Available: Holland and Barrett

Pros: Interesting and unusual berries. Great quality. Good contrast and mix. Only need a few to make your breakfast more interesting.
Cons: Quite high in sugar (like all dried fruit although you don't need to eat that much).

Score: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment