Thursday 25 August 2016

Aldi Cauliflower Rice Review

Well I was surprised (in a pleasant way) to stumble across cauliflower rice in Aldi of all places. I don't shop there that much as it doesn't stock the kind of products and range I want but if they're going to start getting all trendy and expanding their healthier choices then sign me up.



There isn't a huge amount to say about this - it's basically cauliflower that's been whizzed up to resemble rice. You can stir fry or microwave it - either way it's ready in no time at all and quicker than waiting for some rice to boil. It's also an excellent choice for the carb avoiders (although believe I am not one in the slightest!) and at just 27 calories per serve, a lot less calorific than rice.



I tried it in a couple of different ways - once mixed with mushroom rice (the proper stuff!) and roasted vegetables for a quick and healthy lunch and also substituting normal rice for my chilli. Both times it worked well - a nice firm bite and because of the recipes I chose, the cauliflower taste was masked. It's not quite the same texture as real nice and not quite as satisfying (in the same courgetti is nowhere near real spaghetti) but it is tasty and with a strong chilli on top, not really that noticeable.

Yes, I could whizz up a cauliflower myself and it would be cheaper but frankly it's a real hassle and makes a right mess and also a whole cauliflower would make a ridiculous amount. This is healthy, quick and an easy to way to add to your fruit and veg intake.

Aldi, keep up this kind of premium, healthy stuff and you might just win me over. I see they have cold pressed veg and fruit smoothies in Aldis abroad - get some of them over pronto!

Price: £0.59
Bought at: Aldi
Nutrition per 1/3 pack: 27 calories, 0.7g fat, 0.2g sat fat, 1.4g sugars

Score: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment