Friday 9 January 2015

Marks and Spencer Bircher Muesli

In January, I'm sure a lot of us look to eat healthier after the indulgences of Christmas. I've spoken before of my love for bircher muesli. It's the ultimate feel good food. Healthy and nutrient dense but yet still feels special and a bit of a treat. For me, it's like a spa session for your taste buds - pampering with wellness.



Previously, I've loved the dry ambient muesli from Rude Health and also the chilled ready ones from Moma. This is an individual chilled pot, probably aimed for on the go but I bought it as a Friday treat for myself. It looks thick and creamy and rather beautiful with a sprinkling of pistachios, cranberries and pomegranate seeds.



Also embedded in the lovely thick yoghurt is lots of nice big strips of fresh apple, harking back to the original Swiss style. These adds loads both in terms of texture and taste. They keep the pot sweet and fresh. The apple, along with honey and cinnamon, give the muesli a sweet, faintly spiced flavour that is lovely.



Unusually, this recipe has no softened oats, instead containing a bit of granola. Actually, I didn't miss this core component that much as there's lots of inclusions for texture and the granola adds a little crunch.

My only bugbear was the few pomegranate seeds. I like pomegranate seeds but they're watery, tart and refreshing flavour is so strong, they don't work with the softness of bircher muesli. Luckily, there's only a few and the cranberries and pistachios work providing nuttiness and sweetness.

At £1.85, it's definitely overpriced but makes a nice treat.

Score: 8/10

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh but I think the pomegranate is the best part.
    My favourite treat for breakfast, so creamy and yummy, yet a bit of a zing to it

    ReplyDelete