Monday 20 June 2016

Moma Plain Porridge Review

I always prefer making my own porridge from pure unrefined oats but somehow ended up with this Moma Plain Porridge instant pot. It’s your typical porridge pot for those who can’t be bothered to make their own. One thing that makes it slightly better than the likes of most marketed porridge pots is that it’s a decent serving size and when made gives over 200 calories rather than those skimpy 100 calorie ones which are not in any way an adequate start to the day. You can’t knock the cleaner ingredients vs other brands as well – this is just oats, skimmed milk powder and sugar. I was disappointed to see sugar in this especially as it’s caused plain and I never add sugar to any cereal or porridge.



The pot feels nice to hold and is certainly convenient for taking out and about. Opening it up I could see the oats were chunkier and more whole than the likes of Quaker which was appealing. I followed the instructions and added boiling water, stirred, put the lid on and left it.
When I came back it was done to a decent consistency, fairly thick and creamy but not solid. I do prefer porridge very thick but this was perfectly acceptable and I could have easily have left it a bit longer or put less water in. 



The porridge was very creamy, milky and comforting but I did just find it a little too sweet. Certainly it’s much less sweet than every other porridge pot I’ve tried and definitely the best one I’ve ever had. However, I just don’t see the need for sugar in this kind of product and the sweetness was too noticeable for me. Fairplay though it’s gluten free and uses British oats so has a lot more going for it than the likes of Quaker



If you buy porridge pots, I would recommend it – it’s a more premium and less adulterated version. However, why not just buy a bag of plain oats and make your own just the way you like it

Price: £1.49
Bought at: Waitrose
Nutrition per pot: 257 calories, 4.2g fat, 0.7g sat fat, 14.3g sugars, 10.9g protein, 5.3g fibre, 0.1g salt
Score: 6.5/10
 

No comments:

Post a Comment