Monday 18 July 2016

Marks and Spencer Butternut and Smoked Paprika Sausages Review

The sun's finally here and my entire eating pattern has shifted. Most of my desire to cook has vanished and I just want lots of cold picky bits, deli items and salad. Of course I'll make an exception for the odd bit of grilled summer fare and anything for the barbecue is always a good summery dinner choice. I was browsing the M+S BBQ range, the Grill, and whilst there were loads of tempting looking offering that promised bags of vibrant flavour with exotic twits, it was actually the veggie sausages that won out.



I have to say on the whole M+S isn't great for veggie options. They have a lot of good veggie ready meals and the veggie percy pigs and colin the caterpillars are legendary but there are much better stores for meat alternatives. However, these butternut and paprika sausages were completely different to anything else I've seen and they looked pretty exciting and innovative.




Made of butternut squash, green lentils and soy protein, the sausages also contain brown rice, cheddar cheese, smoked paprikia and parsley for a really unusual combo. I tried both pan frying and grilling them and both times as they cooked the aroma coming out was incredible. Really complex with hints of savoury onion, deep smoky paprika and a really savoury smell that was totally alluring.



Texture wise they wouldn't fool anyone they weren't made of meat. They're much softer and quite easy to mush up if you want to. This actually worked out quite well for me as I had them in a seeded panini with some homemade caramelised onions and a bit of the Tesco avocado spread.



The colour is so warming and golden and the smell so inviting, I couldn't wait to dive in. And oh how they delivered. This is probably the nicest lunch I've had in a long time. The flavour of these veggie sausages is just heavenly. It's super complex and you can't really identify butternut squash or lentils , Instead it just has the most moreish slightly sweet but deeply savoury taste. It's the perfect level of saltiness and the spices are immense. The paprkia is rich, deep and smoky and the whole thing just sings with vibrancy.

Don't get me wrong these wouldn't convert a die hard carnivore but for veggies or anyone open to a meat free option now and again, they are amazing. With their wonderful rich, spicy flavour, I would happily buy these again.

Bought at: M&S
Nutrition per 2 sausages: 115 calories, 2.8g fat, 0.5g sat fat, 2.2g sugars, 1.23g salt

Score: 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment