Thursday 30 October 2014

A moment of pure indulgence: Marks and Spencer's Spiced Toffee Apple, Pear and Almond Cake

I try to eat healthily and most of the time I succeed. Sometimes, however, you just have to not care, give in and wallow in a little bit of gluttony.



At over 500 calories a slice, this seasonal cake in the M&S cafe should definitely be filed as an occasional treat. But frankly, it was so delicious, I didn't regret one bite of this sticky, fruity treat.

The texture was sublime. It was a dense cake, more akin to a bread pudding than an airy Victoria sponge but it wasn't heavy at all. It was sticky, sweet and felt deliciously substantial. In a world of low cal snacks that leave you ultimately unsatisfied, I felt I had had a treat here.

It's got a lovely complex flavour. It's fruity with little plump raisins throughout and has a heady mix of sweet autumnal spices, perfect for this time of year.

I had it with a flat white and I can honestly say this was a moment of pure bliss. Every crumb of this was worth every calorie.

No comments:

Post a Comment